Re: Gas Prices, Mufflers, Oil Filters

From: BAMILLER@CSUPomona.Edu
Date: Wed Jun 26 1996 - 14:23:04 EDT

--------------
From: IN%"KMansfie@compucom.com" "KEN MANSFIELD" 25-JUN-1996 08:25
To: IN%"dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu"
CC:
Subj: Gas Prices, Mufflers, Oil Filters

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:02:19 -0500
From: KEN MANSFIELD <KMansfie@compucom.com>
Subject: Gas Prices, Mufflers, Oil Filters
To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu

KMansfie writes:

>First, a sanctimonious plug:

>Oh, the joys of living in oil-rich Texas, where I can get away with
>whining about paying $1.35/gal for Exxon 93 (my spark plugs have
>a nice reddish hue from a LIFETIME of 93 octane). I can even
>drive to Super-fuels, where I can get 101 octane unleaded for
>$2.00/gal (just an occasional tank in the FJ12, never in the
>trucks).

I hate you :p

>Next, a call for info from those who have put after-market exhausts
>on their V-8 Magnums. I've read in these austere tomes that a 3"
>in. cat-back (I'm NOT buying a new cat.--PTOUI! to the
>tree-huggers) single gives better perf./mileage than splitting into
>two 2.5" in. pipes. I really like the idea of keeping the original
>path of the exhaust (as in the "single" idea) except for terminating
>it under the bumper instead of behind the tire. Hmm, what about
>routing out in FRONT of the right rear...? Too loud?

I run a test pipe on my truck. Its a 3" cat back Gibson set-up, without the
muffler. I had the guys at Gibson cut the muffler out of there system and weld
header collector flanges to each end. Then I had them do the same thing to an
ordinary section of 3" pipe the same length as the muffler. Lastly I had them
put similar flanges on the exhaust itself. Now when I get to the strip,
autocross, etc. I can just unbolt the muffler and bolt on the straight section
of pipe. Talk about a mean sounding truck! I suppose you could route it out
before the rear tire if you had a short enough muffler (2 chamber Flowmaster
maybe).

Brett Miller