Re: ? Towing with a Dakota

From: Ron Salzl (ronsalzl@uniserve.com)
Date: Sat Jun 29 1996 - 18:40:42 EDT

At 01:38 PM 6/28/96 PDT, you wrote:
>Has anyone had experience towing a 3200 lb trailer with a Dakota? I am
>particularly interested in how reliable it is and learning how well it can do
>in getting the load to freeway speeds, on hills, starting on hills if stopped,
>etc., and what engine and other options would do the best job.
>
>Thanks
>
>Peter Russell
>yeast@reed.edu

Hello Peter

I take it you don't have a Dakota yet. If not, it's best to go down to a
Chrysler dealer and pick up a copy of their trailer tow capabilities sheet.
These trucks are very capable if you equip them properly. I have a 96 SLT
4x4 Club cab, automatic, V8 with a 3.90 rear end. My truck is capable of
hauling a 6400 lb. trailer. I have a 4050 lb. dry weight 21.5' fifth wheel
trailer that has a max weight of 5800 lbs. and my truck pulls it with no
problem. I can keep up to all traffic in almost all conditions but have
found my gas mileage takes a dramatic dip if I go over 55 m.p.h.

It is recommended in the Dakota manual that you have trailer brakes for any
trailer over 2000 lbs. and it is required by law in most States and
Provinces. If you get a good brake controller you won't have any problem
stopping your trailer.

Of concern too is equipping your (narrow) Dakota with mirrors wide enough to
see down the sides of a wide trailer. Electric mirrors narrow your choices.

E-mail me directly if you want me to look up a trailer tow capability for a
specific truck.

Ron

* Ron Salzl *
* ronsalzl@uniserve.com *