RE: 1994 Dakota Rough Idle After Giving Battery Jump -Reply

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 1996 - 11:37:03 EDT

>You may want to disconnect the battery for a minute or so and let the
>computer reset back to it's default settings and see if that helps.
>
>Dave Clement
>89 4x4
>

>Thanks. That was the first thing I tried.
>
>Unfortunately, the truck was hard to start (initially) after I disconnected
>the battery for a couple of minutes, and it only made it run worse until the
>computer could 'relearn' how to make the engine run 'smoother.'
>However, the problem is still a rough idle and rough ride at road speeds.
>
>The computer does work, though; I now receive the "power
>disconnected" (code 12) and the "end of error messages" (code 55)
>codes.
>
>Kevin Duncan

    Probably a shot it the dark, but if your computer reports no error codes
chances are your sensors are working correctly (again YMMV). My thoughts on the
next step would be to check each spark plug wire for breakage, or high resistance.
Then check each of your plugs. I had an incident that after I had an oil change
the truck ran lousy... I thought for sure that something internal had broken. It
turned out that 2-spark plug wires went bad!!! This was 1 hour after the oil
change!! Is that weird or what???! So it could happen, and it's worth a check
for piece of mind.

    ...Sam '95 SLT