Re: 5.2 Magnum gas mileage

From: TeamGTZ@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 11 1996 - 01:38:30 EDT

In a message dated 96-07-10 13:55:31 EDT, iggy@merit.edu (Glenn S. Wiltse)
writes:

> I went to a local department store called Meijers and found a 10"
>"high performance" filter kit. It cost me $17, I took off my old stock
>filter housing, and instaled the new filter housing along with my K&N
>filter that was for the stock housing. I needed to add a longer bolt
>to hold the top down and that cost me a aditional $.50. I suspect I
>get the same kind of performance from my set up as your $104 set up.
>I the gas millage hasn't shown any increase casue I can't seem to keep
>my foot off the floor. Man that roar of air sounds good. On my 96
>model you'd need to get a longer bolt, just to turn the top of the
>filter housing over.

I did the same; got a "generic" chrome open air cleaner housing with
crankcase breather and a 14x3 K&N filter, plus the bolt. Maybe $50 total.
 The same speed shop wanted $95 or so for the K&N kit; the difference being a
K&N logo stamped into the top. Oh, wow. Note that you need a housing with a
recessed bottom to fit a 3" element under the hood. And yes, I love the
sound of that deep breathing V8 now! (I get 15 mpg in the city - my foot is
pretty heavy, too)