5.2 Magnum gas mileage

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 1996 - 15:21:27 EDT

Brian,

I've had my '92 Magnum 318 since new and have consistantly
gotten 14-15 city, 17 hiway. I was using the K&N cotton filter
since new (highly recommended, about $35 plus oil and cleaner)
and NEVER had to clean the throttle body. I now have the K&N
FIPK ($104 OUCH! but worth it, even the wife says my truck is
more fun to drive. Didn't throw away the old K&N filter, it fit
perfectly in her '95 Ram Wagon). Sorry, I don't yet have any
dependable mileage figures though, because, for some reason,
my foot keeps finding the floor so I can hear that sweet roar of
rushing air! If you want to simulate the FIPK, remove the breather
cover and take a short drive.

Also, my dealer has "flashed" the SBEC 3 times in it's 76K life.
He says the process takes a reading of the current conditions, as
reported by the on-board sensors, and re-programs the SBEC
appropriately. My highly scientific seat-o-th-pants tests tells me it
helps. I asked him about simply unhooking the battery long
enough for the SBEC to discharge, which causes it to reprogram
itself w/ factory defaults but was told factory defaults are not the
correct settings for a 4 year old engine. So, I let him flash it, at
$45 a pop.

BTW, my dealer thinks that '92 or '93 is the last model year that
allows the SBEC to be flashed.

One more thing...it was discussed on this thread and my dealer
confirmed it: the SBEC "learns" from your driving habits. So, give
it a couple of full-blast accels every once in a while, as fast as
conditions permit (I pull over to the shoulder of a rural highway,
then blast off and don't let up until I'm going over 100 mph. In 1st,
it actually goes PAST redline!).

klm

>>> "Bryan M. Harper" <bharper@xtdl.com> 07/06/96 09:01am

I recently upgraded the factory cassette in my 93 5.2 v8 club cab
to a
kenwood cd player, keeping the stock speakers. Just that made
all the
difference in the world! Wanting more, I upgraded the 5 1/4"
speakers in
the door to Boston Acoustics RX57's and the back 5 X 7 to
Boston Acoustics
RX87's. The front pair cost me 95, and the back 105. The sound
coming out
of the truck now is clean, crisp, and has great bass. Even my
mother says
it's better than the sound she gets with her infinity gold system
that came
premium in the grand cherokee! Highly recomended as a relativly
easy way to
get killer sound.

Also, I was wondering not having owned a v8 dakota long, is
everyone else
getting around 13 mpg city, 18 highway?

One happy dakota owner,
Bryan Harper

-----

93 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L v8, 4x4, auto, Green w/tan stripe, BF
Goodrinch T/A tires.
| bharper@xtdl.com |
| http://www2.xtdl.com/~bharper |