Re: 5.2 Magnum gas mileage -Reply -Reply

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 11 1996 - 15:27:25 EDT

Glenn,

On the K&N FIPK, the crankcase breather hose is attached to an
inlet on the underside of the bottom filter cover and secured by a
radiator hose-type clamp (my hose fitted tightly w/o using the
clamp). The downside is, where the OEM housing filtered the
crankcase fumes through the air filter, the K&N unit does not. On
either unit, the crankcase fumes are burned. In your application,
the fumes are vented.

So, I'll change the crankcase filter more often. I don't think much
particulate matter is coming out anyway.

BTW, K&N does not have an EPA-legal open crankcase breather
filter for the Dakota.

Your state may not require exhaust analysis but I'll bet they
mandate that only emissions-legal equipment is installed. In
other words, don't throw away that original filter housing...

klm

>>> "Glenn S. Wiltse" <iggy@merit.edu> 07/11/96 11:32am >>>

   So what do they do with the crankcase breather hose? If the
filter
housing is all open, isn't the hose just wide open too? Do they put
it between the filter and the intake?

   I just put a peice of cloth over the end of the hose, and tied it
on with a tie wrap. On the stock setup it's just connected to the
filter
housing before the filter, so I figure I'm filtering it more now then
it was before.

   We don't have any emmisions inspections around here.