NGK V-Power plugs (was:RE: Bosch Platinum Plugs)

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Jul 12 1996 - 18:27:36 EDT

Ken Mansfield:
>NGK V-Power--at $1.39 ea., you can afford to replace them if the
>post burns down sooner than the so-called "super plugs."

>BTW--At 76K miles, I just pulled out the factory plugs for the first
>time and replaced them with NGK's. Also replaced the cap and

I had replaced my stock Champions at ~14K with the NGK V-Power, which had
just come out (even then, I had to special order them). I replaced them
at about 80K (over 60K on the plugs). It was definetly time to change them.
The gap had opened up, but primarily because the center electrode had
eroded. It still had the V groove in it, but comparing new vs old it was
quite apparent they were worn out. I also changed the cap and rotor for the
first time then. The cap's center electrode (graphite contact) had worn
to the stop -- probably responsible for the rough idle that was cured.

I think the V-Power may have the larger spark-forming surface the Splitfire
plug is touted for, but better control of electrode temperature, as the
NGK's have their famous copper core.

I'll be looking at a change interval of more like 50K miles though. BTW,
the catalog number for Magnum applications is FR-4.

I've run NGK's in my Ninja with great success. There, I use the V-type
plug, which has a thin-wire Gold-Palladium center electrode. The Ninja
runs pretty warm, so I've never had a problem with fouling. They last
three or four times as long as standard-type plugs. As far as I can
determine, they're not made, or recommended, for pushrod V8 applications.

I tried the recommended application of Bosch Platinums in one of my SAAB
V4's once with poor results. Conventional NGK application worked better.

All in all, the life we get from plugs these days is incredible compared
to what we got in the old leaded-gas days. Precise fuel metering from
port injection doesn't hurt either, I'm sure.

Cheers,

Jim
P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P
   I love lush forests, running streams, naked women, and motorcycles.
            I hunt and eat red meat, thus I'm a game manager.
 I own a fossil-guzzling truck, yet I Tread Lightly! wherever I go,
   and pick up all the trash you environmentalist city folk leave behind.
 I own and use an Evil Black Gun (or two) but I'm not a criminal.
 Paradox? No, I'm from Dakota Territory (Montana) where a man's born FREE.
          ~%@%~ Politically Incorrect and Proud of It! ~%@%~
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-