Re: Towing package (and more tailgate/appearance)

From: L Jacobs (ljacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu)
Date: Fri Jul 19 1996 - 12:22:59 EDT

[SNIP]
> It would have been nice to get a factory-installed Class III receiver,
> though. I believe that this is part of the towing package on '96s and
> later (can anyone confirm?). However, I imagine this would have ended
> up costing more than my receiver eventually did: $90 and maybe 90
> minutes of labor.

The 96 w/towing package have a class IV receiver. The wiring is
already done with the female side already wired and the male side
put in the glove compartment (actually center console in my case)
ready to be installed on the trailer. The female side has a nice
cover, and is packed with waterproof dielectric grease. I believe
a class IV hitch is rated for way more than the Dakota could ever
pull, but hey, I guess they had a reason (?).
I couldn't touch the cost issue here ... just part of the package.

Tailgate: I didn't make it clear on my last post, but my 96 has
the stick on reflective 'Dodge' in the upper left corner, and
the stick on reflective '4x4' in the upper right corner with the
accursed 3rd brake light smack in the middle top of tailgate. It
all blends in really well on a flame red paintjob, though.

Interior: Has anyone ever replaced the SLT wood items with Sport
black ones ? If so: 1) cost from junkyard? 2) time/trouble involved?

Lee. 96 SLT 4x4 4spd V8 flame red HD All options.
      Any word on performance modules for the 96's being out yet ?
      Could Andy please contact me w/details about his exhaust ? Thanks !

   __
  / / ___ ___ Lee Jacobs
 / / / _ \/ _ \ LJacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu
/ /__| __/ __/ DVAMC - Univ. Colorado Health Sciences
\____/\___|\___| Big Aspirations, Small Wallet.