Re: Dakota aftermarket stuff

From: TeamGTZ@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 21 1996 - 19:03:37 EDT

In a message dated 96-07-20 16:25:14 EDT, edtrax@dedot.com (Ed Traxler)
writes:

>Anybody know problems with
>positioning hood scoops/cowl induction for the Dakota?
>
>PS I just think a cowl induction hood scoop would look cool.

I agree that it would look cool, improve performance, and shed some excess
weight (fiberglass hood), the problem is, as far as I can tell, there's only
one company that makes CI hoods for the Dak, and it's for pre-92 trucks
only!! (god only knows why!) I saw one guy at a truck show who bought a
fiberglass cowl and cut the hood and grafted on the fiberglass piece. It
looked pretty sharp. He put the cowl all the way aft on the hood, right next
to the windshield. It looked "stock" and apparently worked. As far as I
know, the slight vacuum caused by the raised cowl part of the hood, coupled
with the air "damming" up at the windshield forces air underneath the cowl,
and into the engine bay. (I know, not very technical explanation, but I got
my info from a gearhead, not an aerodynamics engineer!)