Re: Strange sounds

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 1996 - 16:09:55 EDT

You wrote:

> Well a couple days ago, I heard something terible comming from the
>drive line of my new Dakota. It's a 96 4x4 club cab V8 with limited slip
>diff and Automatic. If I would nail the throtle on blacktop, I would get
>some tire spin wich is pretty normal... 1 out of 5 times doing this I would
>also hear this growling noise as the tires were spinning, and then shortly
>after the tires stoped spinning and the groweling stoped (foot still to
>the floor) I would hear this 'clang'. The clang was loud and I am nearly
>positive this isn't what casued the noice, but it almost made a sound like
>I would imagin hearing if your pinion ever slipe a tooth on the ring gear.
>I don't think that's what happened, or that ever even could happen, but
>it is one of the nastyest sounds I have ever heard from a vehicle. I am
>really worryied about it, but can not re-produce it at will, and when it
>has happend(maybe 6 times so far) I have been pushing the throtle to the
>floor. I'm not sure how to deal with this, I hate to take it in for
>warranty work, saying ' you know when I beat the hell out of my truck
>it make this really nasty clanging sound just after it stops spinning the
>tires, but it only does it 1 out of 10 times I mash the throttle...' When
>I drive anyless then the above described senerio, it never makes any strange
>noises.
>

> Anyone ever heard anything close to what I described? Amyone have
>suggestions on how I should proceed?

    You have a 4X4...so try this. Go to your dealer, and explain the noise under
the notion that it happened when you were driving through sand (4-HI) and while
spinning a bit, you got traction and then the noise happened. :)

    It could be driveline lash... The hook-up could be a BIT violent for the
driveline to handle... Especially through your transfer case. I bet that is
were the noise is coming from... Transfer case... Check it out.

    ...Sam 95 SLT 5.2