Nasty Clanking Sounds (was: Re: Strange sounds)

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 23 1996 - 16:30:16 EDT

>It has now turned into a godawfull "clank" and when I am decellerating
>downhill on a rough gravel road it continually clanks every time I hit as bump.

This is most certainly NOT 'normal'.

>I also have complained twice about the shifting pattern of this truck.
>Whenever I go up a hill or attempt a pass and boot it, the transmission
>seems to downshift two gears, the motor races like mad and then immediatly
>upshifts to the gear it should have downshifted to in the first place. The
>dealer also says...."normal". Give me a break, never have I owned a vehicle
>that I have been so "aware" of what the drivetrain is doing as with this truck.

Whoa. In need of service! The thing I like the MOST about this truck is that
silky smooth shift. Better shifting than a luxury F*RD I rented (years ago --
I imagine the Mark VIII is better).

Note that with 10K miles, you haven't had a 30K service yet. Have the dealer
check all the items in the driveline that he'd normally hit at 30K, including
tranny band adjustment and inspection of the ring and pinion in the rear
pumpkin. I expect he'll find something amiss there.

The double-downshift problem sounds like Chryco either played with the
cruise control programming, or a sensor is lying to it. I think they use
the manifold pressure to determine engine load. I would think this would
show up as a trouble code, but maybe not.

Fixing the first problem may eliminate the second.

You paid good money for a great truck; insist you get it!

Jim

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes,
but in having new eyes." -- Proust