RE: Transfer case shifting

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 23 1996 - 16:17:10 EDT

>On my '93 (v8, AT, 4x4, 3.90) the visor instructions were also clear, and
>wrong! After several trips to the dealer complaining about how tough it was

Same with mine. It will occasionally shift just fine when at a standstill,
but most often I have to let the vehicle roll a bit (forward or back) to
engage. It almost always grinds if I try to shift while in gear (D or R),
so I'm now in the habit of shifting to neutral first.

>Magnum engine in '92. So now I have to remember to put it in 4-low while
>still rolling in neutral BEFORE I get stuck.

I have had to shift into 4L AFTER getting stuck, in which case I try shifting,
put the tranny in gear and back to neutral and try again -- works after the
second try almost every time - doesn't take much driveline motion to move
one gear tooth, I guess.

Anyone with a '92 or earlier want to comment on xfer case reliability?
Note that as it's shift-on-the-fly in 4H, that ratio must be synchro'd.

Jim
The hyper-violent and the ordinary societies in America are distinguished
not by their attitudes towards guns, but by their attitudes toward murder.

- Frank Silbermann