Front Axle Leaks (4WD)

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 24 1996 - 17:47:44 EDT

Dave Clement-LDC009 wrote:
> Currently only problem with truck is all (3) front axles seals are leaking.
> Not enough to make me fix it yet but enough to make a gooy mess.

I had to have the dealer fix this twice under warranty, and I know they
didn't fix the real cause, because I know what that cause is. Of course,
seals are a 'normal wear item' so I can't get another warranty repair
now (last fix lasted amazingly long distance -- haven't been as abusive
off-road, I guess).

The real cause, at least on mine [and there is a TSB on this, so I suspect
I'm not alone] is that the chamfer or fillet where the axle turns into
the CV bolt circle is not short enough radius. There is larger diameter
axle too close to the seal.

Now while the axle isn't meant to have a whole lot of travel in and out
of the axle housing, it is splined to allow some movement under (pretty
extreme) frame twisting (or maybe full suspension travel). Enough, I'm
sure, to take up the couple tenths of an inch separation at rest.

As soon as the seal has to conform to that roughly-cut larger axle diameter,
it will start to leak.

The real, complete fix, would be to turn down and polish the axle shaft all
the way to the inner face of the bolt flange. This is what I intend to do,
anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem, since I've only had problems with my
right-hand seal, and the left axle shaft has just a tenth of an inch more
polished surface. Arghh -- close, but not good enough!

Jim

I have experienced such a pain in my ass since Clinton was elected that I am
beginning to suspect that They have implanted a black helicopter there.
                                                 -- JPell