RE: Front Axle Leaks (4WD)

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Jul 26 1996 - 20:46:21 EDT

Dave Clement:
>>The real cause, at least on mine [and there is a TSB on this, so I suspect
>Do you know what the TSB number is? I would like to check this out.

Alldata says it was released in May '93, and is titled "Right Front Axle
Seal Leak" I suppose it's about time I bought a copy of this from the dealer.
They issued an update or addendum with a similar title in Aug '94.

Perhaps they changed which side has the circlip?

>>The real, complete fix, would be to turn down and polish the axle shaft all
>>the way to the inner face of the bolt flange. This is what I intend to do,
>Be real careful about this. The reason for the radius is to prevent a stress
>riser. If you machine a sharp corner at the flange it could fracture off. If

I'm aware of this concern, but I think the flange is of large enough diameter
that it's highly unlikely to become weaker than the splined inner shaft. It
may be exposed to more shock loads, being closer to the wheel though.

>am just a few hundred miles short of 200,000 miles I have not considered

I'm looking at about every 40K miles. Heck, it's time to grease my CV joints
anyway, right?

Jim

I have experienced such a pain in my ass since Clinton was elected that I am
beginning to suspect that They have implanted a black helicopter there.
                                                 -- JPell