Re: Nasty Clanking Sounds (was: Re: Strange sounds) (Should now be Downshifts)

From: Jane V Elliott (elliott@cyberspace.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 1996 - 17:10:34 EDT

I haven't checked what the ratios are between a 5 sp'd in 4th and an auto
in 4th, but my 5 sp'd with 3.55 final drive in 4th at 70mph is turning
about 3000rpm, and about 2150 (true) at 65 in 5th. I'll bet that OD in
the auto is a bit higher than 5th in the 5 sp'd.

The converter lockup isn't another gear it's a mechanical locking of the
converter to prevent slippage under cruise conditions for improved gas
mileage. The increase in rpm you see when the converter unlocks is due to
slippage in the converter (normal). That it ends up at 3000 rpm after
kicking down at 65 mph sounds normal, put you right about the torgue peak
of the engine (Magnum) for the best power for hills and passing.

Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE