Re: Rear End Clunk

From: Phil McClay (Phil_McClay@qmgateib.mitre.org)
Date: Thu Aug 15 1996 - 11:20:27 EDT

         Reply to: RE>Rear End Clunk

Rich

I've got a Dakota similar to yours, except its a 1994 with the NV-3500 manual
transmission. Mine has always clunked around since new, and the clunk hasn't
changed over 56k miles. And you can't believe how LOUD it can clunk when
you're going over bumps with the clutch in, probably much worse than an
automatic. I think the drive train noise is normal, and there is no TSB that
I know of. There is a discussion of drive train noise in the Service Manual
and possible causes -- most are usually the result of damage (e.g. bent or
worn components) and nothing you're going to collect on under warranty.

Phil McClay
mcclay@mitre.org