Rear End Clunk

From: RICHARD_GAMBINO@VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Thu Aug 15 1996 - 09:09:20 EDT

I have some questions/comments that maybe you folks could help me with. First, my Dakota info:
1996 V-8 auto 4X4 3.55SG club cab SLT, presently with 10K miles, ordered new & received 11/95. I *LOVE* this truck.

A few thousand miles ago I started to hear what I thought was a "rattle" coming from the rear when
coasting over bumps at very slow speeds. I later realized that it is slop in the rear end and the "rattle" occurs since there is no drag on the drivetrain when coasting (the automatic is upshifted). It also gives good loud clunks when stopped and shifting between R and D. Has anyone experienced this, and is there a TSB on it? I don't mind it much, if it doesn't continue to get worse!

Upon reading the archives, I also noticed some comments about the chrome wheels rusting. While I'm not having this problem, the wheel weights are rusty and I don't know if they will eventually cause the wheels to rust in those places. I thought I read something about plastic coated weights; can the old ones be removed and new ones installed without special tools, etc.?

Has anyone installed the MP computer in an automatic? I was wondering if it alters the shift pattern and if it revs beyond redline. I heard it raises the cutoff, but would it still shift at redline?
BTW, the redline on my truck is 4800 and I was sure it was higher, maybe in older V-8's before '96?

I saw the article in C&D on the '97 and the specs list the redline at 5250 I believe, and also 10 more HP (230). I wonder where they found the extra 10 horses?

Sorry for being so lengthy.

Rich

         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)