RE: idle air control

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 1996 - 09:25:48 EDT

To: CringB@smtp.nvg.com@INTERNET; dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Thu, Aug 22, 1996 9:34 AM
Subject: RE: idle air control

From: CringB@smtp.nvg.com@INTERNET on Thu, Aug 22, 1996 9:08 AM

>My 91 dakota V-8, has an idle air control motor.. This motor is hooked to
>the linkage for the butterfly valves that control the air flow into the
>engine. If the idle is to fast the motor shuts the valve, if the idle is
to >low the motor opens the valve. It only controls it for a few degrees of
>rotation, but is essentially the same as stepping on the gas pedal. I
>believe that the almost all fuel injected engines have this set-up. Most
>fuel injected engines also adjust the timing to keep it at idle, but I am
not
>sure about the dakota. As for the reason why you can still stall a
>standard transmission, the valve cannot react quick enough to keep up
>with the sudden engine drop in rpm.

Brent,
Actually I think it is much more common to see a throttle body that has a
port that allows air to be ported around the throttle butterfly under
contoll of the computor than it is to see the computer contolling the
butterfly position.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE