Re: '96 Emissions

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 1996 - 14:34:45 EDT

> >> The oil burner you refer to can likely
> >> pass the sniff test without much effort because the sensor does not check
> >> for unburned oil
>
> > Burnt oil can make you fail the "unburnt HC" portion of
> >the sniffer test.
>
> Ron,
>
> My son had an old S-10 Chevy that visably burnt oil and would pass the Mass
> idle sniff check for hydrocarbons. I do not think the raw oil hydrocarbon
> molecule registers the same way as a partially burnt gasoline hydrocarbon
> molecule on the sniffers. I have seen some pretty foul running cars that
> have passed the idle sniff test.
>
> Dave Clement

In VA the inspector must look for visible smoke. If yer smokin', you
don't pass. I've heard of some pretty expensive vehicles failing
because of a little puff after idle. I think it's funny how diesels
don't require emissions inspection. My kid's got an old Mercedes that
really stinks when you step on it. Is this because the exhaust is not
as toxic as gasoline or is it because there aren't any effective pollution
controls for diesels?

-Jim.

--
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer    email: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com