RE: Any Body Rust?

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 1996 - 10:46:24 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; richard_gambino@VNET.IBM.
COM@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Fri, Aug 23, 1996 10:52 AM
Subject: RE: Any Body Rust?

From: richard_gambino@VNET.IBM.COM@INTERNET on Fri, Aug 23, 1996 10:16 AM

>I have a '96 and I was curious to hear from you folks with older Dakotas
>about how the bodies hold up against rust. I did have it rustproofed,
>but then again so was my wife's '87 wagon when bought new, and its got
>rust on the lower door panels (granted, it's 9 years old). I live in NY
>state.

Rich,

I have an 89 4x4 LE with 201,000 miles on the clock and have now just seen
my first signs of rust. There are a couple of spots around the windshield
molding where some rust has started otherwise the body is in great shape.
The paint (black) in general has held up very well with no signs of
deteriorating. Also, for a vehicle that has been driven >200K miles the only
visiable wear on the interior is in the heel area of the factory original
floor mats and the drivers side of the center arm rest is starting to showns
signs of being thread bare.

I live in Mass and this vehicle is driven year round and is used on the
beach.

NOTE: the truck does not have any after market rustproofing and the
underside of the bed and cab are clean. As expected there is some surface
rust on suspension, drivetrain and frame pieces but it's been there for
along time and does not get worse.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE