RE: '96 Emissions

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 1996 - 08:21:28 EDT

To: elliott@cyberspace.com@INTERNET
Cc: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Mon, Aug 26, 1996 8:31 AM
Subject: RE: '96 Emissions

From: elliott@cyberspace.com@INTERNET on Sun, Aug 25, 1996 12:30 AM

>I understand that the OBD-II vehicles run cleaner than previous models and
>may do so for longer, but in NJ for instance it's my understanding that
>most cars and trucks over 3 yrs old won't be able to pass the new test and
>are therefore unable to be registered. What's really neat is that, also
>hearsay, if you can't register the vehicle it's illegal to own it and the
>state can seize it. If these are the facts then the new car dealers in NJ
>and the manufacturers will be happier than a fox on a gutwagon.

I have heard the horror stories about what is "going" to happen in NJ but
there are law suits going on that in the end, I am quite confident, that it
will be found illegal to seize a car just because it is not registered.

As far as the enhanced testing is concerned I have not seen anything that
would indicate that they would be testing a vehicle for emission levels for
other than what it was originally required to meet (ie; a 93 would be tested
to 93 requirements and a 96 to 96 requirements). My understanding of the
intent of the enhanced testing scheme is to ensure the vehicle is not
emitting anymore polution than what it was designed for over it's total
operating range.

>Clean air's great, but the new emissions tests are just a bit overboard.

I agree that the new testing is likely going to be more of an inconvience
and it will likely cost us more to keep our vehicles but if you have ever
seen the grey/green haze hanging over cities we do not have much choice
other than continuing the march towards zero emission vehicles.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE