Filter, and Plugs -Reply

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 1996 - 15:05:18 EDT

Bryan,

I have a '92 LE 2wd V-8 Mag. Club w/ about 77K miles
(bought new). Here's my 2 cents-worth.

Installed the K&N Filtercharger at 10K miles--instant
improvement of 1 mpg and a little more power.

Installed the $100 K&N FIPK (open 14" filter) at 75K--seems
like a bit more power as the RPM's climb, intoxicating roar at
full-throttle. (Moved the K&N Filtercharger to momma's '95
Ram Wagon--noticible difference on this 4400 lb. vehicle.
Better throttle response, less downshifting, .5 better mpg.,
nice "whooshing" sound from the intake, which is about 24"
from the driver's ear.)

Talked to a lot of mechanics and parts-counter folks who
could have sold me any plug on their shelf, and most said
"Plugs are plugs" and to spend as little as possible while still
buying a good name-brand. Bought NGK V-power for $1.39.
I don't doubt that some of these high-tech plugs perform
slightly better than conventional, but when I look at $48 for a
set of Split-fires vs. $11.20 for NGK's, the choice is easy.

Added Slick50 at the 1st oil change and got about 2 mpg
better, but haven't added it since. I'm certain it is all gone by
now. Don't know if this is just coincidental or not, but
developed a leak in the rear main shortly after installing
Slick50. Fixed under warrenty. Also got seepage in the
front main--local dealer won't bother with cracking open the
block just to fix seepage. I concur.

My Dak's gas mileage has slowly gone down over the years.
 I'm getting about 13.5 now, but I know I got a heavy foot,
especially after putting in the FIPK. The wife took a 300-mile
round trip a couple of weeks ago, mostly highway, some
city, and got 16.7 for that tankful. So, I'm blaming myself
and that junk they call reformulated gasoline. I live too far
away from the next county to give it a constant diet of "good"
gas.

Cheepest upgrades:

1. Ensure everything stock is operating properly. (maybe
not so cheeeep w/o the ext. warrenty)

2. Intake modes, exhaust mods. FIPK is a little steep, but I
wouldn't give mine back. A good 3" cat. back system isn't
too expensive--probably around $100-$150 installed. RE:
The $550 Mopar headers, alternatives to--I read in a Mopar
small-block performance book, in the chapter entitled
"More-power, less money," that the 318's exhaust manifolds
are "remarkably efficient, compared to other manufacturer's
stock manifolds..." Hmm, anyone know about that?

3. Other folks on this thread have put in the Mopar Perf.
SPEC and have had mixed comments about it. I think it can
be had for about $150 exchange.

'Course you can spend the $1700 for the parts for the
EPA-legal 300 hp. motor. Cam, lifter springs, headers,
exhaust, SBEC. I yhink others here have done some of
these mods. Check the web site for the full history of this
thread.

Well, that's my 2-cents. Gotta get back to work.

klm

>>> "Bryan M. Harper" <bharper@xtdl.com> 08/26/96
07:47am >>>
Has anyone used a K&N Filtercharger, and if so, with what
results? Mileage?
Power?

Also, which kinds of premium spark plugs has anyone had
good luck with?
Platnums? Splitfire?

Looking for anything that will improve proformance on my
Dakota.

Bryan Harper '93 LE 5.2 4X4 Auto

                \\|//
                (o o)