Re: Filter, and Plugs

From: Jane V Elliott (elliott@cyberspace.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 1996 - 20:25:51 EDT

Mine has the K & N replacement filter, and aside from sucking air when
it's all full of bugs and dirt I haven't noticed any difference in mileage
or performance. The K & N FIPK, open filter 3" tall x 14" OD, would
probably be different though.

As for plugs; I've tried Bosch Platinum, Autolite Platinum, Champion Gold,
Splitfires, and the stock Champions. The Splitfires ran okay in my
Dakota, but a guy at Mopar Performance said that he had two Dakotas that
wouldn't run with them. They're a waste of money. My Dakota ran very
poorly on Bosch Platinums, popped, burped, farted just wouldn't run right.
Autolite Platinums work great, no difference in mileage or performance
except that they last a long time. The Gold Champions were installed
right before the truck had the distributor replaced and had them removed
and reinstalled 3 times, so I'm not sure if they work well or not. After
the 3d installation, I torgue 'em to about 25 ft lb the shop manual says
30, they didn't seem to work that well, some better than the Bosch's but
not much when cold. When the engine was warmed up they ran okay.

Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE