Re: Radio "fade"?

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 1996 - 08:11:35 EDT

I don't know how much the wiring differs between the '87 and the '96, but
I recently reengineered the speaker wiring my truck. The early wiring
harnasses are different than the later ones since they have common conductors
for the negative speaker lines of the front an rear. I found that the OEM
connectors that I got from Crutchfield would not work according to the
instructions. Also the Sanyo unit that I installed cautioned against using
common leads on any of the channels.

Anyway, under the left side of the carpet near the emergency brake
is a flat connector with about 10 contacts. On my truck
it was grey I think. These are the wires for the rear speakers and dome
light. You might check to see if the connector is securely snapped at its
locking point. If it's not a big deal to remove the radio,
you might pull it out. There are modular connectors on the back of it
too, secured by a plastic locking mechanism. If they weren't securely
installed, they might become intermittant. I doubt that the connectors
at the speakers themselves would be a problem. They are a friction fit
with really big pins. It would take an almost intentional error for
these connectors to be incorrect.

I'd suggest that you buy the factory shop manual for your truck if you
want to mess with the wiring. The diagrams are invaluable although
I have found some slight inconsistancies in the wire colors used
when I installed my trailer lighting.

-Jim.
'87 V6 auto 4x4

--