Re: Exhaust systems

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Fri Sep 13 1996 - 10:52:08 EDT

OK guys here's the scoop on exhaust systems for the magnum V8s. DO NOT
SPLIT THE EXHAUST INTO DUALS BEHIND THE CONVERTER. If you do you will
increase turbulence and decrease horsepower (compared to what you could
get from the following). The best system on the market is the
Gibson/Mopar performance cat back with a SINGLE 3" pipe! I duplicated
this system on my 95 Dakota using a Flowmaster Big Block 3" in and out
muffler and a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe, but it was just as expensive as
buying the Gibson. Also, the biggest restriction in the stock system is
the crossover pipe which is pinched on the driver's side and of very
puny diameter pipe. I replaced it with 2 1/4" pipe from the manifolds
into a dual 2 1/4" x 3" Flowmaster Y pipe into a highflow 3" Cat. That
coupled with the cat back system was worth 3 1/2 to 4 tenths in the
quarter mile. Before I built my system I made numerous phone calls to
exhaust engineers and Magnum performance who has dyno tested many
different configurations and found this one to be the best.

     By the way, with this exhaust system, the computer, underdrive
pulleys, and and open element K&N, my truck has run a traction limited
best of 14.90 @92+MPH in near 100 degree weather with 85%humidity.The
gibson system can be had at West Oaks dodge for $248.00. Their number is
(800)748-6118. Happy trails

Andre Mauboussin
95 Dakota Sport V8/5spd 3.90SG