re: 4 Wheel ABS (worth it?)

From: Dick Mellon (dmell@voyager.net)
Date: Sat Sep 14 1996 - 13:06:25 EDT

At 09:50 AM 9/13/96 -0700, Tim Schneider wrote:
>Re: ABS (4 wheel)
>
>> I can also say that it has great utility off-road. Besides making it just
>> a little bit safer to go insanely fast on gravel roads, ABS also makes it
>> possible to head down impossibly steep grades with the brakes 'locked'
>
>Agreed, I've had this happen to me (in a non-4wd truck Chevy 1/2 ton)
>and it sucked.. told everyone to hold on as we skidded/accelerated down
>the hill 4 wheel abs would have helped in this situation.
>
>Unfortunately, I didn't learn my lesson and my 96 Dak (while 4wd) only
>has 2wheel ABS :(
>
>Are there any other techniques people can recommend.. once the front wheels
>lock up and start skidding, you're out of luck, and out of directional control!

WHEN DESENDING a steep hill you better be in a low enough gear for
engine braking to hold you back with a little a help from the brakes.
Other wise your screwed if your brakes fail or fail to hold you back
from an uncontroled slide! I`ve been their, not fun.

 Dick Mellon,
 E-mail, dmell@voyager.net
 Boyne City Michigan