RE: Performance chips

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 1996 - 10:18:25 EDT

From: mcclark@ix.netcom.com@INTERNET on Mon, Sep 16, 1996 9:59 PM

>I have seen that many people on this list have the Mopar performance
>chip. Does anyone have the one from Superchips? Which one is better?
>I have heard somewere that the one from Superchips can give a 30 - 40
>horsepower increase. Is this truth or fiction. I have the 5.2 V-8 and
>I am decided on getting a performance chip, but not sure which. Also
>what is involved with changing out the chip.

The Mopar Computer is potted so there is no access to the actual chip that
contains the programing. This is why you purchase a complete replacement
computer from Mopar Performance. I am not familiar with Superchips but if it
is one of those devices that plugs in in between the computer and wiring
harness I would think that it would be of minimal effectiveness. Also, there
is only a limited amount of tuning that can be down with these Computers
before mechanicals such as, injectors, cams, and/or exhaust need to be
changed. The complete R/T package for the 5.2l magnum engine increases HP by
50 and this kit includes; headers, cat back exhaust, computer, cam and a low
restriction air filter. To think a 30-40 HP increase with only a computer is
not realistic.

>Also has anyone tried the K&N FIPK, and what is the approximate cost?
>K&N's web site states it will deliver 18 horses over the stock set up.

Again, to think an 18 HP increase from changing the filter is not realistic.
The FIPK is over $100.00. There are a number of people on this list that
have purchased off brand open element air filters and then used the K&N
filter charger element with them for a total cost of less than $50.00.

Personally I have a low reestriction cat back exhaust and low restriction
air filter on my non-magnum 3.9l and the increase in power is minimal at
best.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE