Re: [Fwd: Newbie]

From: Alan Casey (acasey@IO.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 17 1996 - 12:16:04 EDT

>Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 23:38:08 -0700
>From: craig winnerman <cwinnerman@earthlink.net>
>To: dakota-request@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu
>Subject: Newbie
>
>Thanks for the great place to gain info on my new purchase of a 1992
>Dakota Club Cab 5.2L, automatic, with 67,000 miles. I was driving a
>Checy S-10 king cab 4.3L and loved it. I needed the extra room to tote
>another car seat for kids. The Dekota also gets better crash test
>results than the S-10. Dakota gets the best mark for the driver and the
>next to highest for the passenger. Need the safety with kids. I look
>forward to advise on 2 problems
>
>1. The oil pressure gauge drops to near the far left on occasion, most
>of the time it reads half way. Is this a bad pump, clogged screen, or
>possible worn drive gear like in the technical bultin I noticed.
>
>2. These is a very slight clunk felt in the steering wheel when
>starting to accelerate. I am not sure if the front brakes are sticking
>or it is something in the steering linkage.
>
>Any advise from the experts is welcome!

I'm not sure what to tell you about your oil preasure problem. The steering
problem sounds similar to my own.
The steering starting clunking when I would accelerate, or sometimes when I
would brake, then it started doing it on rough road. I took it in under
warranty, the dealer checked it out and said they could not find anything
wrong. In fact could not even reproduce the symtom. I even rode along with
the mechanic on the road test. He claimed he could feel nothing, even
though I could feel it through the floorboard on the passenger side.
Needless to say the dealership is sorry as hell when it comes to anything
more complicated than an oil change.
I took it back in after the factory warranty ran out and low and behold they
could feel it now. They claim the main and lower steering linkage, and the
whole steering column have slack in them and will need to be replaced, to
the tune of about $900.00
When I asked them about just replacing the lower steering linkage ($250.00)
to see if that helped, they claim that the new lower linkage will not mate
up to the old main linkage, that Dodge has changed up the design because of
this known problem. So its all or nothing.. BULLSHIT!!!!

Fortunatley it is not affecting my alignment or anything, its just very
annoying. As for the dealer I would'nt give them a dime if they were the
last shop in town. I off looking for a second opionion.. I will let you
know what I find out.

Alan Casey...