RE: Newbie

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 17 1996 - 20:48:28 EDT

craig winnerman <cwinnerman@earthlink.net> writes:
>1. The oil pressure gauge drops to near the far left on occasion, most
>of the time it reads half way. Is this a bad pump, clogged screen, or
>possible worn drive gear like in the technical bultin I noticed.
>
>2. These is a very slight clunk felt in the steering wheel when
>starting to accelerate. I am not sure if the front brakes are sticking
>or it is something in the steering linkage.

First off -- Welcome!

1) There is, as you mention, a TSB for your year for drive gear wear. I would
certainly check this out - pronto! [They actually issued two TSBs, one in
Jun '93 and another in Nov '93. There is also a TSB on oil leaks at the
distributor, and leaks at the rear main bearing.]

2) I had my steering column shaft replaced twice under warranty, and it's
about time for it again. Annoying yes, but not critical. The problem is with
the rubber damper in the shaft. As it wears and ages (it's cooked by the
exhaust header) it shrinks and develops play. There's an aftermarket fix for
the full size Dodge trucks, dunno bout the Dakotas.

Jim
"There is already a ban on ALL CRIME. It is not working." - Thomas Sowell

Gun control: The theory that Black people will be better off
             when only Mark Fuhrman has a gun. -- from Usenet