RE: [Fwd: Newbie]

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 1996 - 15:02:24 EDT

From: acasey@IO.COM@INTERNET on Tue, Sep 17, 1996 1:51 PM

>The steering starting clunking when I would accelerate, or sometimes when I
>would brake, then it started doing it on rough road. I took it in under
>warranty, the dealer checked it out and said they could not find anything
>wrong. In fact could not even reproduce the symtom. I even rode along
with
>the mechanic on the road test. He claimed he could feel nothing, even
>though I could feel it through the floorboard on the passenger side.
>>Needless to say the dealership is sorry as hell when it comes to anything
>more complicated than an oil change.
>I took it back in after the factory warranty ran out and low and behold
they
>could feel it now. They claim the main and lower steering linkage, and the
>whole steering column have slack in them and will need to be replaced, to
>the tune of about $900.00

If you had this in under warranty it should be documented and you have a
good case to get it fixed as a warranty claim. If the dealer won't listen
call the regional office.

The tranny started acting up on my Dakota (when my buddy owned it) around
50k miles and was brought in several times while still under warranty with
the same response from the dealer. After much bitching (again by my buddy)
the tranny was replaced as a warranty claim at 90k miles.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE