Re: OBD diagnostic table

From: Robert Allen (boballen@sky.net)
Date: Mon Sep 23 1996 - 10:49:03 EDT

Lee Mewshaw wrote:

> This a very useful table for one of the most arcane parts of fixing a
> car. My Dakota is a 94, and I haven't had the pleasure of my "check
> engine" light coming on (yet). Knock on wood. What I'd like to know is
> how would I connect to it if I wanted to check the codes?

Good point. I should add that information to the page. For the '96 and, I
believe, prior years, if you cycle the ignition key OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
fairly quickly the check engine light will blink the DTC code. I've never seen
it yet but supposedly, a "24" would display as "blink-blink" a pause and
"blink-blink-blink-blink". As not all codes cause the check engine light, you
might try it and see if anything is stored. I did and either nothing was
stored or I did it wrong.

Thanks for the words.

Bob.