Re: 104 octane boost

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 1996 - 13:08:57 EDT

> I don't want to dig up a dead horse... but...
> I thought 104+ and other octane boosters were deemed to do more
> damage than good.

> I have never tried 104 octane boost in my Dakota, but I use it regularly in
> my boat with 135 Hp mercury outboard, and motorcycle, yamaha XT600.
> I have never experienced any problems in either of these engines.

  Like others, I do not use fuel additives in any of my street
cars. I do use an All In One additive in our boat (130HP Volvo
inboard). This does function as an octane boost, but I use it
primarily because it also claims to be a lead substitute and
antioxidant.

  It most definitely leaves a phosphorous residue on the plugs
(thin whitish tan coat on porcelain and outer electrode). I
also know it was pinging on 93 octane pump gas before I started
using this additive, but no longer pings. It's possible this
additive is nothing more than a placebo, but the tan residue
is less obtrusive than the residue from leaded gas. I feel the
additive is worth it for this marine engine. Not so sure additives
are worthwhile for the Dakota.

  Ron