Re: 104 octane boost

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@relay.adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 1996 - 07:56:15 EDT

You've been steered wrong Rob. Higher Octane is simply a waste of
money. It will not cause damage. If your motor does not ping you
do not need a higher octane. Keep in mind that the octane rating
is a measure of the potential for detonation. A low value will cause pinging
if the motor is not tuned for the rated value. A higher value in a motor
tuned for regular is just a waste of money unless the motor is retuned
to take advantage of the higher octane.

That said, it could be that the octane boost in a can will cause
damage to the motor or the rubber parts of the fuel system. It depends
on the formulation of the booster. I don't know much about them
I'm afraid.

-Jim.
'87 Dakota 4x4 auto

--