Re: 104 octane boost

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 1996 - 11:55:00 EDT

At 07:19 PM 10/1/96 -0700, you wrote:
>If the mechanic has been at it for years he may be thinking of the old
>days of fuel with large quantities of tetraethyl lead added. This
>stuff, combined with premix ratios of 16-1 or 20-1 would foul spark plugs
>and clog up exhaust ports quicker than you can believe. When I rode two
>cycle dirt bikes (from a '64 24MDS Greeves to a PE175 Suzuki with several
>in the middle) the recommendation was regular gas not premium. Remember
>seeing a photo in a Brit bike mag in the 60's of an exhaust port that was
>plugged to near nothing.
>
>Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE

"Coking" is also a problem in outboards (carbon buildup around pistons and
exhaust ports, tubes) in outboards particulary auxilary trolling motors that
never get run up to full throttle. Both OMC and Mercury have recommend an
new grade oil (TW3) to address this problem. Mercury hasn't run 25:1 since
the early '60s.
My dad had a 1964 Merc that ran on 50:1 Mercury brand oil. Outboards are
different than motor bikes as they are water cooled and tend to run cooler
than air cooled motors. Next time I seen my OB mechanic, I'll find out
exactly what he meant by damage caused by higher (than 89) octance fuels.

BUT, more important than that, I couldn't wait until the 97 Dakota's arrive
in Victoria. It's at least two weeks before the dealers (so they say!) get
to see them. My wife was in Vancouver last week and had a good look at one,
so yesterday, I ordered mine through our local auto broker:

1997 white 4x4 clubcab, V8, auto, SLT.

I should know in a few weeks when to expect delivery.

It's interesting, out of the three dealers that I approached with exactly
what I wanted (using the WWW Kelly Blue Book codes ... which are the same
for the Canadian model), only one was prepared to give me a price. Once got
all hostile, gave me his dealer cost (with some errors) and suggested that I
make an offer when I was ready to buy. The other (from Vancouver),
contacted through the web, said he didn't have the price books, but would
soon get back to me. It's amazing that these guys can sell cars at all!
The one price that I got from a dealer was signicantly higher that the auto
broker, plus, it was only from the salesman, which means they're not
committed to it.