RE: Tranny Problems

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 1996 - 00:58:45 EDT

----------
From: Mark Jones[SMTP:mjones@ngl.ca]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 1996 5:29 AM
To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu
Subject: Re: Tranny Problems

I am wanting to change the transmission lube in my 5 spd 94 SLT Clubcab V6.
 What is the recommended lub for the manual transmission.

Also, & I know I am opening a can of worms, but what are your overall
impressions of the quality of the service you get from the dealer? I can't
say much about mine. They striped two lugs on the rear wheels and when
they replace the lugs and nuts, they used the wrong nuts. I'm just glad
there were 4 other good nuts holding the tire on.

Mark Jones

The sad part about the dealer is your forced to take it there if you want
to take advantage of the warranty. The work about 80 percent of the time
is supstandard, especially if it is warranty work. I have had quite a long
history with my dealer (Apple Dodge in Austin Texas) considering my truck
is only a 94 that very upsetting. I am forced to take my vehicle in 2 or 3
times to get something fixed. Its a good thing I really like the Dakota
and its potential because I have had lots of problems.... Which the dealer
does not help with thier "oh you again" attitude.

I am currently doing battle with them over a loose steering column, which
was reported twice under factory warranty, and which now the extended
warranty service refuses to cover.

I had to stop taking it in for the lifetime free oil changes because they
kept getting grease on the seats and carpet, not to mention the 1-2 hour
wait.

From now on whatever work I can't do myself, im going to take it to a
reputable shop. I have decided to just blow off the extended warranty,
because the dealer has to do the work.

I'm sure not all dealers are this way, I just have'nt had the pleasure of
visiting one of them yet.

   200 bumper almost falls off. (bolts not tightned)
 2000 wheels out of balance
 5000 anti-lock brakes locking
 5000 wheels out of balance
 7000 wheels out of balance
10000 transmission noise
10000 wheels out of balance (rims are bent) won't hold balance ???
                replaced rims with aftermarket
15000 gear shift spring breaks
20000 radiator bursts (replaced)
20000 steering column slack
28000 transmission main bearing burns out. (transmissin overhaul)
30000 rear view mirror falls off
36000 paint starts flakeing off first on hood, now all over.

Best of luck..

Alan Casey...