Re: Where the pipe exits...

From: TeamGTZ@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 06 1996 - 18:30:59 EDT

In a message dated 96-09-28 05:41:13 EDT, Kukukooter writes:

<< I run a cat only with about 3 feet of aluminized 2.5 pipe behind it and I
did
 not lose as much bottom end torque as MOPAR claims, but it screams and
sounds like an indy car at 10 grand and idles nice and quiet. It depends on
what parts are on your Dak and the combo. (13.00 normally aspirated 95 with
stock manifolds and single cat only) >>

Well just recently, my "custom" cat-back dual system gave up the ghost (it
was rattling around and totally falling apart) so in a fit of rage, I tore
off everything in back of the factory cat back tube (yes, the cat's still
there). So I put an angled chrome tip on that pipe (i know, goofy) to
hopefully direct the hot gasses away from the gas tank TEMPORARILY. Since I
didn't have enough time to build a new system, I just drove to work with no
mufflers, only a cat and about 3-4 feet of cat-back (3" I believe). I also
have the Doug Thorley headers. WOW! Sounds tough at idle, sounds like
NASCAR at full throttle and a major shot in the arm power-wise _once you're
rolling._ First gear doesn't seem to have much difference (5 spd) and second
is negligible at low RPM but passing (camaros, mustangs) is a delight now!
 I've already gone SIDEWAYS from nailing second gear hard, and the rear end
even gets a little silly on me from a hard pop to third! Of course, on
deceleration, there is a ton of backfiring, farting, popping, whatever, but
I've heard here that this problem may be due in part to the Bosch platinum
plugs. I guess that the loss of backpressure affects snappiness off the
line, but it may be a necessary evil. Driving up I-57 today, I had plenty of
chances to hit passing gear at 60 and watch the speedo needle zip up to 80 in
a heartbeat. Of course the low frequency tones accentuated by exiting
directly under a covered bed may induce premature hearing loss.....Another
interesting note, while the truck previously felt "comfortable" cruising at
65-70, that same subjective "comfort speed" has since climbed to 75-80. I
always used to know when the truck would pass 70mph with the full exhaust.
 Now, I'm very suprised to look down and see the needle at 83 or so with the
tach resting at a leisurely rate of 22-2300 rpm! (3.55 sure grip) Comments
anyone?

Andy