RE: '97 Owners out there?

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Tue Oct 08 1996 - 11:59:00 EDT

Hi Troy -

>I am new to the Dakota list and have already seen some messages about
>the 1997s. Does anyone actually own one right now? How many guys
>(and gals) have one on order? I think I'll be ordering one in the
>spring of '97 (after the Wisconsin winter decides to depart).

I'm currently driving a '96 and after taking a look at the new '97s at the
dealer, I'm glad I opted for the '96. I do really like the way the new
truck looks both outside and in, and I hear it rides very well, and is quiet
inside, etc. etc., but some of the exterior parts I looked at on one of the
'97s looked kind of cheesy (specifically, the rear step bumper). I also
didn't like the new design of the sliding rear window. Comparing size-wise
with my '96 and the new '97, the '97s LOOK like a compact truck, but the
'96s look more midsize, almost full size and IMHO and to be PC
"rightsized"...

>What are the odds that I could order a '97 Dakota in Brilliant Blue
>and talk the dealer into adding the "skunk stripes"? I'd love to
>have a mini pace truck. :^)

I've been thinking about having this done as well. I've already got a '96
ClubCab 4x4 in Brilliant Blue, all I need are the stripes. Someone on the
Mopar Mailing List suggested getting the stripe kit for the Ram and resizing
it for the Dak. I just haven't gotten the time, or the $$$, or the gumption
to do it yet... Anyone else have any ideas on the best way to make an
Indy-clone Dakota?

>One last question for you 5.2-liter, 5-speed owners: What kind of
>mileage are you getting from your Dakota?

This one I can answer :-). Around town, I get between 13-15 mpg (w/K&N air
filter, stock air box, waiting for FIPK, stock exhaust, etc.). On a highway
trip, I have gotten up to 19 mpg, but usually average 16-18 mpg. I also
have a soft tonneau cover on the back of the truck.

>1968 Camaro RallySport 327/Glide
<yipe> ;-)

         Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _ _
       Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_`
       (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_|
  '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
  '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ----------------------------