Re: RPM (Was: Where the pipe exits...)

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 1996 - 11:38:18 EDT

You wrote:

>Got another response on rpm @ speed and this combined with what a friend's
>'92 Dakota that is supposed to have 3.9 final drive it appears that mine
>likely has 3.9 too. The window sticker and tags on the differentials both
>indicate that the 3.55 were installed. Glad everyone was on an accuracy
>kick that day at the assembly plant : )!
>
>Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE

    Ahh, but beware. My Dakota has the 3.90 and 5 sp'd, and when I first drove
it, I was amazed at how fast I could get to 75-80 mph...then realized that
everyone else was driving FASTER than me! It turns out the standard rear end
ratio for a 5 sp'd is 3.21-1, while 3.55 & 3.90-1 are both optional. The people
at Warren Michigan put a 3.21 speedo gear into the trans, and not a 3.90 speedo
gear. Thus I was going a lot slower than advertised (22 mph off!) The dealer
replaced the gear, but again with the wrong one (3.55 speedo gear), and the
speedometer was now 12 mph off (by my estimates). It was finally fixed on the
3rd try.

    So, check your odometer to a true 1 mile = 1.0 (and not 1.2, 1.6 as mine did
originally), then use the speed/rpm figures people have told you for a given
speed. You MIGHT be right, but it's good to check!

    ...Sam '95 SLT MP SBEC...