Re: Windshield Replacement (was; Mileage)

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 1996 - 12:02:05 EDT

You wrote:

>From: stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET on Wed, Oct 9, 1996 12:25 AM
>
>> My windshield needs to be replaced too. :P It got hit at the very top
>>by a small rock (from a cement truck, I think). That created a chip, but
>>after being parked in a hot parking lot all day, the chip developed into
>>a crack about a foot and a half long. :P Interesting note: When I
>>called the dealership to price a new windshield, they said they don't
>>do them! I have to go to a 3rd party glass place! How silly of me to
>>think that the dealership would handle OEM parts for the vehicles it
>>sells! :P
>
>I would never consider the dealer for a windshield replacement. In my area
>they glass shops will come to your home or work place and do it on the spot.
>They even handle all the paper work with the insurance company so you do not
>even need to contact them.
>
>I have had good luck with J.N.Phillips Glass (I believe they are national).
>A guy here at work had a leak almost a year after they installed the
>windshield and they came out pulled and resealed the windshield not
>questions asked.
>
>Dave Clement

    One thing to consider...(I've had it done) If you get a star/chip/half moon,
etc. your insurance company (most) will wave your deductible and pay for the
repair (if it's repairable). I got a chip in my '95 Dakota's windshield 2 weeks
after I bought it. I got it fixed for free (insurance company paid for it), and
the work was guaranteed ($80 fix) for life...If the repair did not hold, they
would apply the cost of the repair ($80) towards a new winshield.

    The repair was great (no crack visible), but it didn't take hold and within 5
days split. The repair place put in a brand new windshield ($220 installed),
minus $80 for repair, total cost to me $140.00 Not bad...

    Find out, it is worth the effort.

    ...Sam '95 SLT MP SBEC