RE: Taking the next step. -Reply

From: Jason B. Bleazard (jmbleazard@xactware.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 1996 - 18:07:56 EDT

Some mail handlers can't handle attached files, period. They
just show up as garbage in the body of the message. You
can try to edit them down by hand and and save them to
another file, but it almost never works.

The Internet standard is uuencode, which translates binary
files such as bitmaps into ASCII which can be included in the
body of the e-mail and decoded on any system. I usually
use Pine on a UNIX system and I haven't figured out any way
to deal with anything else (particularly Mime). Granted, I
don't really care enough to spend any time working with it.

As for size, that's a good question. Personally, I think
anything more than about 5k is annoying. I'm probably a
little less tolerant of large files than most people, though.

>>> Schelling, Paul M <SchellinPM@corning.com>
10/14/96 01:07pm >>>
So my question is: What is the largest attached file size that
can be sent without p**sing too many people off?