Re: Sending pictures to the list

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 15 1996 - 14:25:41 EDT

>Dakota fans:
>
>>>A lot of mailers these days can handle .BMP files, etc. I find them to
>>>be
>>>a great way to communicate something not easily expressed in words
>>>(one picture speaks a thous... etc.). So my question is: What is the
>>>largest
>>>attached file size that can be sent without p**sing too many people off?
>>>

>>The way to do it is to offer to send the file to those with the interest and
>>or capability of handling it.
>>If someone wants it, send it to them.
>>If they don't want it or can't handle it they won't request the file.
>>This is true of .BMP files or any attachments.
>
>We've hashed through this topic many times on the other list that I
>read: the f-body-classic list (Camaros and Firebirds). It bothers
>the guys on that list just as much as the people who have spoken up
>here.
>
>On the f-body-classic list, I have offered to host any pictures that
>people want everyone to see but are too large to send to the list.
>The same offer is extended to the Dakota list: If you have pictures
>of your truck or some technical diagram that you want to share with
>the list, please feel free to uuencode it and mail it to me. I'll
>add it to my web page and then the people who want to view it can
>check it out.

 First:
   Thanks for the offer, Scott! That should help a few people out. :)

 Secondly:
 I guess this issue was never really was explained in the intro files or
anything (perhaps it should be...).

    Personally, I have no problem with recieving large files through e-mail,
but that's only because I have the capability and a huge file doesn't
cost any more to get than a tiny one. At the very least though, most
people will have to sit and wait as this file is downloaded from their
POP3 server to their computer.

     There have only been a couple of large pictures posted to the DML,
and they were both done in a spirit of helpfulness and in a willingness to
share information. The Internet is new to many people, and a lot of them
don't know about its mostly unwritten rules, such as posting large files,
etc. and it is through incidents like this that they learn, and find
alternate ways to share the information.

   Some hints/tips/etc:

     If you have a graphic (or any large file, for that matter) you want to
share with the other DML members, you can mail it to me, and I can make it
available on the ftp site, or you could ftp it directly to the ftp site, or
you can take advantage of Scott's generous offer. In your message, just
let people know where they can go to look at it.

   If you're sending a graphic (such as a small one to the list, or a larger
one to me, Scott, the ftp site, etc), save it in a reasonably compressed
format first. Most people can read GIF and JPEG, and these formats both
crunch the data fairly well. For example, in the archives directory on the
ftp site, I just cut Kukukooter's 1.3 MB throttle body BMP out of the text
file, and saved it seperately, as a 9K GIF. :)

                                              -Jon-

| Jon Steiger: DoD# 1038, EAA #518210, USUA# A46209, NMA# 117376, KotWitDoDFAQ |
| stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
| '96 Dakota SLT V-8 Club Cab, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |