Re: Axles & tires

From: Dick Mellon (dmell@voyager.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 1996 - 12:59:22 EDT

  I have been deflating to 15-20 # when running in dunes or the beach
for many years. It is a good idea to carry an air pump (12 volt or hand) to
reinflate for the road. I shortened the life of a set when
all the gas stations were closed in an area on a Sun. when I needed air. I
have been stuck to the axles and then reduced pressure to 10#
and driven right out.
I`m cooled down now,"SORRY",BUT It did get everyone talking about
typical listserve problems. I was`nt upset with the language used here,
only confusing additions to threads of discussions about technical
matters. For example, oxygen sensor applications and prices or transmission
adaptability (318 vs 360). One of our more learned brothers here advised us
about the inbalance problems of interchanging
torque converters . I had a Dodge van that I bought cheap that someone
had put a 318 torque converter on a 360. It shook like crazy.
 Somone else followed up here,that they will bolt up to either engine.
Yes,I think they will except for torque flex plate which as I remember
has 1 offset screw hole which could be redrilled or filed to fit but
Don`t do it without checking with an expert (which I`m not)or you
might end up with an inbalance problem.
 I still need a rear end or posi w/ ring & pinnion (3.55) for my 88
Dakota 4X4.

At 01:44 AM 10/15/96 -0400, Rader wrote:
>> I'd be willing to bet you'd cause some sort of siezure in a tire company
>> engineer with talk of airing a P tire down to 12 to 15 psi. They'd
>> probably have a fit with airing an LT down to those pressures too
>
> This tidbit is most definitely testimonial, but at certain towns
>here on the NC coast, the authorities still allow you to drive on the
>beach. It is common local practice to air down to 20 psi for combined
>pavement/beach driving (I assume low speed/low mileage), and even
>less for tough patches of deep dry sand.
>
> I am pretty sure nobody ever cleared it with the tire manufacturers
>first, but it's worth what you paid...
>
> Ron

 Dick Mellon,
 E-mail, dmell@voyager.net