RE: Ignition Problem

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 1996 - 08:50:00 EDT

>>> I own a '93 Club Cab 2WD 3.9L V6 with 91K miles on it. It ran like a
>>> dream until about 3 days ago. I am having some ignition problems and
>>>thought that someone might have some experience with a similar problem.
>>>
>>> Problem: The ignition cuts out intermittently. Sometimes while
>>> driving and sometimes it won't even start. I have replaced the coil
>>> because I thought that was the culprit. It started up and ran 3
>>> times. While driving it would cut out for a fraction of a second and
>>> then pick right back up. Now it won't start I don't have any spark.
>>> The problem must be coming from the feed to the coil. I have ordered
>>> a repair manual but am waiting for it to arrive tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas, and are there any easy checks I can
>>> run on culprit sensors that might save me some time and money. I know
>>> that some of them can be checked with a v-ohm meter, but I don't have
>>> the information I need to do this.
>>
>> Sounds like the hall effect module that is in the distributor.
>>What sort of error messages are you getting?
>
>DITTO! My '91 V-8 Dakota had the EXACT same problem/symptoms. I had the
>dealer fix it ($40.00 for towing) for $145.00 parts and labor.

Save yourself some money! The hall effect pick-up is about $40.00 (if you
get it from a parts store) and takes less than 5 minutes to change. Also,
check for chaffed wires first before buying the part. My son's Daytona was
doing the same thing and the lead wires from the Hall effect pick-up had
chaffed through and was intermittantly shorting.

By the way you do not necessarily get a trouble code when the pick-up fails.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE