Re: '92 Dakota problems

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Oct 25 1996 - 10:44:38 EDT

You wrote:

>Help!!!
>
>I own a 1992 Dodge Dakota club cab 4x4, v8 (318) engine, with 87,000
>miles.
>
>Problem: An incredible whining/whistling noise coming from the back. At
>speeds of 55-60 and I take my foot off the accelerate, the floor
>boards/steering wheel vibrate. Thus far I have had my Dodge dealer
>replace/repair:
> 1) All bearings around the pinion/gears
> 2) Back u-joint
> 3) Drive shaft has been turned
> 4) Back tires balanced

    My 1991 had a similar problem (vibration). In addition, ANYTHING above 80 mph
caused a 'strumbing' noise & vibration... I had the driveline checked, etc etc.
It turned out to be the motor mounts. They were fixed/replaced everything was
fine.

    The whining sounds like some sort of gear noise...I had that too. Needed to
have the rear-end rebuilt... But if that's not it, did someone put deer warning
whistles on your truck?!?! :) (I couldn't resist)

    Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

    Sam '95 SLT

    BTW My truck is about to have the intermitten wiper unit replaced AGAIN!! The
thing would do 2 passes & stop (like it should). Now it will do 3-5...A symptom
my first unit had...then it wouldn't shut off!!! (I had to pull a fuse!)...
Anyone else have similar experiences with this??