RE: Snake Oil

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 1996 - 08:24:55 EST

From: ragnew@islandnet.com@INTERNET on Sun, Oct 27, 1996 9:20 PM

>I am looking for advice on the utility of products such as Slick 50. My
>mechanic swears by it, yet, some of the articles that I've read suggest
that
>all additives are a waste of money and the real secret to engine longevity
>is regular oil changes using a good brand of oil.

You will not find any sound independant scientific evidence that Slick 50
(or any of it's competitors) do any good. At best they do no harm. Your
mechanics endorsement is nothing more than an anecdotal story, it does not
mean anything. My favorite add is the one where they drain the oil and water
from a slant 6 and run the engine with the rocker cover off while flooding
the engine with water. The make it sound like the water is another strain on
the engine but infact is cooling and lubricating the engine.

I have 202,000 miles on my 3.9l v6 and it has only seen conventional oil.
The way it is running I fully expect it to go beyond 300,000 miles with no
engine problems. You have hit the nail on the head, regular oil and filter
changes are the real secret.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE