Re: Performance problem

From: Kukukooter@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 01 1996 - 23:12:30 EST

This from a former 6000 foot Albuquerque resident...
at every 1000 feet you lose 3% to 4% horsepower, period.
I did everything costly to gain power on my 93 Sport 5.2.
I had the computer, exhaust, K&N, hot ignition, shorter tires
and while it's performance did noticably change, it still
had no air. Believe it or not, starting around 16.50's, I worked it
down to a best of 15.70. Then driving to Florida with no changes but
altitude,
it ran a 14.70 first time out. Upon the return trip to NM it aged 65 years
in the performance dept. I wanted to blow $3000 on the Vortech
supercharger more than ever before. My built big block only ran low 14 teens
up there! Truth is, that is the only way you will beat the altitude asthma
for your
truck, I not sure if Paxton or Vortech offers a universal kit that would work
for the V-6, but ingenuity
on your part would be a must. As for feeling the loss in third gear, that is
the
side effect of altitude gear loss. I used to race up Sandia mountain at a
fast 25 mph
also. A steeper gear change (3.91) would most noticably help your truck not
mention all the minor performance add ons available for you truck. Cost
effectively
it would be best to upgrade the truck to a 91 or newer with the 5.2, but no
one
 wants to hear that. I believe you have the option to advance your timing 2-4
degrees
 and jet up 2 sizes. That's the best I can offer besides relocation
information.
Kidding... try the tuning then the gears and you will be alot happier.
Kuk