Re: Performance problem

From: Paul Stoehr (pstair@peaka.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 1996 - 03:43:23 EST

Hi David,
I also live in Colorado and have a '92 Dakota with the 3.9 magnum
v-6 with 5 speed tranny. I also had problems cruising at altitude, like
the Eisenhower tunnel, for instance.
I took the Dakota to an exhaust/muffler shop and had them install the
largest diameter exhaust pipe and glasspack muffler from the catalytic
converter on back. The cost was reasonable, about $150, if I recall.
I also replaced the stock air cleaner assembly with a K&N air filter
in a chrome air cleaner housing. I bought both of these at a Western
Auto, but Super Shops sell them, as well. The K&N filter is much more
efficient than the pleated paper filter, especially when combined with
the open design of the after market cleaner housing. An added benefit
is the look under the hood, really sharp!
Anyway, the above items definately improved the high altitude performance
of my v-6 engine, but it still isn't a v-8.
Hope this helps... Paul

'92 Dakota
magnum v-6
shortbed with shell