Re: You must check this out!!

From: sam_p@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue Nov 05 1996 - 19:12:59 EST

You wrote:
*snip*

>"We've been waiting for some time now to design a real street truck
>with a real attitude," said Thomas C. Gale, Executive Vice President
>of Product Design and International Operations, Chrysler
>Corporation. "Dakota Sidewinder is just that -- it's a raw, powerful,
>bare-bones design that combines design cues from our 1997 Dodge
>Dakota with cues from great trucks from the 1920s, 30s and 40s."
>
>Styling cues from the 1997 Dodge Dakota production vehicle include
>its bold off-set hood, fenders and distinctive Dodge "cross hair" grille.
>Remaining design elements were inspired by street truck forms of the
>past.
>
>Dakota Sidewinder's most notable form is its bucket-shaped cab, a
>shape common to trucks of the 1920s, particularly Ford's T-bucket
>roadsters. "From the side, this distinctive curved shape gives the
>vehicle a 'muscular jaw look'," said Trevor M. Creed, Chrysler's
>Director of Advanced, Exterior Jeep(R)/Truck, Interior Design, &
>Color & Trim. "This look gives Sidewinder the appearance that it will
>devour anything that gets in its path. And it probably will."

>Other distinctive elements include a removable one-piece roadster
>soft top, a narrow 4X6-foot box, a billet style headerless windshield,
>hydraulic clamshell hood, and a small, distinctive sidestep on each side
>of the vehicle. The headerless windshield offers drivers and passengers
>better visibility, gives the truck an "open-air feel," and plain just looks
>cool.
>
>Cleaned and refined in the tradition of the All-American hot rod,
>Dakota Sidewinder discards several design elements in favor of
>showing off its muscular curves. "It's a pure truck design that flows,"
>said Creed. "In order to achieve this flowing design, we left all
>unnecessary visual elements -- including door handles, bumpers and
>trim pieces -- at the curb."
*snip*

    This sounds VERY similar to Prowlers unveiling... They'll probably put the
Mitsubishi V6 in it instead of the V10 too!!! ;p

    My ideal Dakota would have the Cummings in it!!! (HA HA)... Put a 18 speed
transmission in (6 speed w/Under/direct/Overdrive!)

    You could probably run with a 1:1 diff... Once in 18th gear you'd probably
need to pull over for gas! (800 miles later!)

    Unfortunately for that truck, you'd have a heck of time getting the emissions
to pass (for a truck less than 1 ton), plus if you had 600 HP in a Dakota, you'd
be hard pressed to beat a 300 HP Dakota 0-60, and 1/4 mile... Burn outs... Well
that's another story... Anyone here do a KNARLY burn out and try to drive
straight?!?! Forget it, unless you take your foot out of it... Now imagine 3
times the horsepower... You might as well have swivel casters on!!!

    Now a 600 HP Baja 1000 prepped Dakota!! Now that's a possibility (See Walker
Evans lately???)

    ...Sam '95 SLT