Re: 4x4 necessity -Reply

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 1996 - 23:06:00 EST

At 06:45 PM 11/8/96 -0800, you wrote:
>A funny story (I think so anyway). Going to Vancouver, BC, one Saturday
>morning I hit the TransCanada about 15 miles E of Van and it was clogged
>because of a little snow, maybe 2 or 3 inches. Took a side road in 4WD
>and was chugging along going west hoping I could find a way to get across
>the Fraser River. Went down a pretty good sized dip, maybe a quarter mile
>down and right back up with maybe a 6% grade, and noticed a white car
>trying to get out of the hole going my way. Got closer and noticed the
>RCMP/GRDC on the trunk. The driver was spinning the tires until the right
>rear got down through the snow and hit the gravel on the shoulder which
>gave a little squirt up the hill about 2 or 3 ft. When I passed I gave
>the woman officer a nice big 'merrycan grin and went on up the hill. She
>was totally unimpressed! Fortunately she was completely occupied.
>
>Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE

Larry:

I grew up in Vancouver. I poked along in a '62 VW beetle and everybody
passed me .... until it snowed. My girlfriend (now wife) lived in upper
Lynn Valley. They had 5 feet of snow on the ground from December until
March one year (very unusual). I remember on numerous occasions stopping to
pick up both her mother and older brother walking up the hill because their
cars couldn't make it.

I know the conditions that you're talking about.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada