Re: Dakota ad

From: Roger A. Sampson (RSampson@88net.net)
Date: Sun Nov 10 1996 - 21:35:03 EST

Chris M. Smith wrote:

> In the paper this week there was a full-color fold out brochure on the
> '97 Dakota (The same one in many car magazines). I posted this on my
> wall at work, and immediately have several converts on their way to the
> local Dodge dealer. Saw a '97 on the road today, a very plain white
> work truck, but it was still impressive. Had to look twice to tell it
> was a Dakota and not a Ram. I can't wait until my wife and my wallet
> let me make that trip to the dealer!
>
> -Chris

Chris,
The ads are pretty much on target! I just took delivery of a new '97
Dakota this week. It took 7 weeks from placing the order to actually
taking delivery. I ordered it from a dealer in San Antonio Texas, Gunn
Dodge. I live in Austin and my local dealer was Apple Dodge, however
they were not interested in taking an order, only wanted to sell what
was available from them or dealer trade. At the time they had no
vehicles. I don't understand the lack of customer focus but thankfully
there are many Dodge dealers so no big issue. Gunn Dodge also offers a
One simple Price policy, which for my ordered vehicle was about $1000
off MSRP. I suspect you may be able tomake better deals. But this post
is more about the truck as opposed to the dealership(s).

The truck is an emerald green, Club Sport. I wanted the sport model, so
you will find that there are not too many colors available in that
model. There is a tan interior that would have gone nice with this color
but again it is not available with the Club Sport and 60/40 seat I
wanted, so it is a non descript gray interior.

The drive train is the 5.2 liter V8, (isn't 318 cubic inches closer to
5.3 liters), with a 5 speed transmission, 3.55 limited slip. It is a two
wheel drive. I am not much of an off roader and the extra insurance
costs are not worth it to me. I opted for the "performance" wheels,
which give 235s as opposed to 215s, both 15 inch. The rim width is also
wider, 8 inches, as opposed to 7, I think. The tire and rim upgrade is a
lot cheaper than equivelent after market, almost seems like a bargin,
however I have not seen another new Dakota with them. I also have most
of the luxury features that are normally associated with the XLT
package. I log a lot of miles, so spoiled myself a little here. The
truck is also equipped with 4 wheel ABS, factory fog lights, heavy duty
cooling and electrical, with tow receiver.

So far, I am really enjoying the truck. It is a quiet ride, firm, but
not too harsh. Rack and pinion steering is responsive for a truck, (not
used in the 4x4). The performance is quite good, but I would like to
tweak a little more power out, without too much burden on fuel economy.
First on my list will be an honest dual exhaust. It currently has a
cross over pipe and a single catalytic convertor, with a single tail
pipe. Not sure where to go after that in terms of power increase,
perhaps an after market air filter such as K&N.

I recommend the purchase of the service manual. I ordered it before the
truck so I could have a good look at things and get answers to questions
that the dealers just did not know. It was $90 well spent.

If I can answer any questions you may have regarding this truck or '97
Dakotas please let me know, I think I have shopped it completely!

Roger
'97 Dodge Dakota